Friday, October 29, 2010

140 years old, Japanese traditional cookie shop in Kurayoshi, Tottori

There is Japanese traditional cookie shop, ‘Manbaya’, 140 years old in Kurayoshi, Tottori Prefecture.

Manbaya was started in 1877 (Meiji times) and the owner is carrying on a five-generation family business.

The shop is in Akagawara, Kurayoshi city.

















The message, ‘Start 1877’, is great!










































When you drink tea these cookies are good.
















Look at that sense!
It is autumn now! :)
The owner has great skill.















































There are a lot of cookies and jelly but some of cookies are made in Kyoto.
























The owner made these cookies.
I wanted to bring my home some cookies, so picked it out.




It is like a work of art!
Very cute and colorful!






































Manbaya appeared in the tour magazine.
The pictures of the inside and cookies are in magazine.
Wow~!













































I asked for permission for taking a picture the shop to the owner.
And I had a talk with the owner and owner’s wife about history of the shop.

They are really kind.
They are quite old but wanted to know some Korean so I taught simple word.
(I’m Korean.)

They said thanked me and my friend then served tea and cookies. :)
The shop doesn’t offer tea.
I was deeply moved and they are really warm people.
































Cookies of Manbaya feature a sense of the season mainly.
It is beautiful autumn. Look at cookies!
Cookies are changed each season.

There are adzuki beans in cookies.

We eat by cutting cookies with small wooden thing.
I cut cookies in half at home.





















The more I look at it, it is amazing and beautiful.    





Colorful cookies!












































The shop is clean and simple.
Manbaya doesn’t sell tea because of the problem of permit.
But the shop has seating space. You can bring tea and eat cookies.







































I took a picture the owner and owner’s wife as well. :)
Unfortunately, when I took a picture he closed his eyes.
So I drew heart-eyeglasses for him! :)

I want to go Manbaya one more time.












































The exterior of Manbaya



































If you go north from the main road ,’Akagawara 8’, cross the street.
Then you will find Manbaya.

Tottori Prefecture Kurayoshi city Meijimachi 1031-27
  (鳥取県 倉吉市 明治町1031-27)


No comments:

Post a Comment